Friday, January 15, 2010

The Queen and I

Well, today's off to a late start, as are most other days. I hereby contemplate an earlier bedtime.

Now, what was I doing today? I believe it's to:

  • Buy chocolate - Everyone loves chocolate!
  • Continue drafting sim constitution - Everyone loves constitutions! I see charters everywhere I go, dictating what an individual cannot do in a given area. Well, that tone isn't always pleasant, though there's comfort in the protection from ill outside influence that the law provides. What I don't see often is documentation explicitly dictating what an administration can't do to its people. As long as a community proves a reasonable level of maturity, it shouldn't be difficult to protect its folks from enemies foreign *and* domestic, should it? Nanny states are soooo 2009.
  • Write blog entry about Queen Star - Everyone loves Queen Star!
Oh yeah, that's what I was supposed to be doing! Right, on with it.

As I've made clear in my last entry, there is a woman in my life who holds a place of high regard and adoration with me. And while I fight often furiously to defend her honor, she is more often than not fighting her foes herself and defending my own honor. Seriously, she will eat you if you come after me. Boudica reborn, really.

I speak of this lovely lady, though the true heroine is the lovelier lady at her helm.


-= Her Majesty, Queen Star =-

Star is the Queen of our island nation and the woman I married. She's beautiful beyond belief in every way, and knows how to make me smile on my worst days. She is easy to make friends with and easier to love. She runs a shop, Star's Fantasia and likes to experiment with building and texturing, which sometimes leads me to review my own building theories. She's wise beyond her years too, and she'll be mopping the floor with you if you don't believe that and treat her accordingly. (Well, unless I threw up after one pint of rum too many- then I'm mopping the floor with you.) As seen in my Christmas present to her, the SL storybook The Pirate and The Princess, legend has it that I met her shortly after she narrowly saved my cutthroat keister from being eaten in a horrifying siren feast. Things have gotten better for me ever since.

Let's face it, the concept of marriage on SL is ubiquitously a whipping boy in and outworld and for good reason. Stereotypically, a marriage lasting longer than 15 minutes is frequently and sarcastically praised. I think this is because of the communication difficulties inherent in a virtual world, and that a lot of SL couples consist of incredibly immature folk. (Like me, actually.) Anyway, it's something I was told to think carefully about and a commitment I recommend to avoid in any world unless you are absolutely sure you know what you're doing and who you can trust. These are real people, not AI's.
However, marriage has worked beautifully for us, Star and I. Many people could say it was against all odds when looking at Second Life as a whole, but we're dedicated to each other and have eyes for each other and no one else. We understand there will be difficult times and we get through them. That and we got lucky.


Back to Star. This queen has the heart of a mother and the soul of a goddess. She is understanding and is often helping me back on my feet after I've taken a fall and wounded my dignity. She never forgets me in thick, nor abandons me in thin. She not only puts up with my outrageous stunts, she joins in the lunacy. I once told Her Majesty that I was taking a team of pirates with me to the moon, to which she responded by asking me to bring back cheese (which I did, to her delight.)

Anyway, it is impossible to keep us apart. And one day, may it be soon, I'll wake up next to her on our honeymoon.

Love you, princess!

No comments:

Post a Comment